PREPARING FOR YOUR AUDITION
Choose a solo, scale, and orchestral excerpt that best demonstrates your current ability and range. Choosing to play something that is too hard can send the wrong message to the audition panel. If this is your first time auditioning and you don’t have a private teacher, just do your best in preparing your audition! Here is our list of private teachers.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your audition time so you can be checked in and warm up before your audition.
- Dress for success. This is one more way to show the audition panel you look forward to being part of the VYOA.
- Pick your scale, solo, and excerpt early so you have the most time to prepare.
- Hold a mock audition in front of your family and/or teacher in advance. This will mentally prepare you for how the audition will go.
- Realize the judges want you to do well. They hope you play your best.
- Smile and have fun! Making music is a joyous experience.