- Students who will be in grades 3-12 in the 2014-15 school year are eligible to audition for our full season ensemble programs
- Students in 2nd grade and below may be placed in an ensemble if their participation can be supported by the level of musical and social development they display. A private instructor or school music teacher recommendation is helpful in these cases.
- Students eligible for our orchestras typically have at least one year’s experience on their instrument; the majority have been playing two or more years
- For wind, brass, and percussion players not yet ready for orchestra placement, the Vermont Youth Winds program provides excellent training and preparation for future orchestra participation. Students who audition but aren’t placed in an orchestra are welcome to join VYW to hone their ensemble skills.
- For string players not yet ready for placement in Vermont Youth Strings, the Presto program provides an excellent introduction to ensemble playing over a five week session. These students are welcome to audition if they wish (as an introduction to the audition process and to receive feedback) but no audition is required for Presto participation
- Post-secondary students (finished with high school and/or 19 years of age or older) are not eligible to participate in VYOA ensembles
Posted in: Audition Basics