- No. We feel it is important for the development of our students that they learn to function independently in the audition environment.
- Your singing will be evaluated based pitch accuracy, intonation, and rhythm, as well as vocal technique. The more subjective qualities of tone and expression are also considered.
- Vocal range and pitch matching ability factor highly.
- You do not need a big sounding voice to succeed – you need to enjoy singing, and you need to have a certain level of preparation to keep up with the repertoire of the VYOA choral ensembles.
- Vocal technique is something that we teach, so we do not expect perfection. If there is something that the conductor feels will be an obstacle to your participation in the choruses, he/she will tell you about that, and what you can do to help change that.
- VYOA Choral Conductors Dr. Jeffrey Buettner and Kristin Bamberger and other members of the VYOA artistic staff hear choral auditions. Only one or two people hear most choral auditions.
- You will wait in a communal warm-up space (usually the orchestra rehearsal room). A VYOA staff member or volunteer will escort you to the audition room when the panel is ready to hear you.
- Please arrive at Elley-Long Music Center at least 15 minutes prior to your audition time. This will give you time to check in, turn in your paperwork, have your photo taken, and warm up
- If you are late for your audition we will attempt to fit you in, but this is not guaranteed. You may be required to reschedule to be heard a different day.
- Please be sure to register online once you have your audition time
- If you have prepared a solo to sing after the required piece, bring a copy of your solo sheet music
- If possible, set up your schedule for audition day so that you have time to prepare physically and mentally prior to your audition
VERMONT YOUTH ORCHESTRA ASSOCIATION
Elley-Long Music Center at St. Michael’s College
223 Ethan Allen Avenue
Colchester, VT 05446
ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE HOURS
Monday – Friday: 9 am – 5 pm